Which Collagen Supplements Are the Best?
The concept of the “best collagen supplements” will actually mean different things to different people. Nowadays, there are a number of different types of collagen supplements on the market, and there are many different reasons that people use them.
As our bodies age, they begin to produce less collagen naturally – but I have some good news for you:
• We do not need to deal with many of the effects of collagen deficiency, given the right supplement.
There are many collagen health benefits, and it might be surprising just how many unexpected advantages there are to be had from using it, in the right type and form for you. It also might be surprising just how many of us would greatly benefit from taking it.
Who needs a collagen supplement?
Here is something to know…
• Anyone at or over the age of 30 would get something positive out of taking a good collagen supplement.
If one understands the number of different ways that a body begins to break down, as well as the fact that natural collagen production decreases as aging progresses, it is easy to understand why anyone at 30 years or older could (and perhaps should) be taking some kind of collagen.
People looking for help with health conditions:
• Weight loss, joint problems (runners, those with arthritis, etc.), people with digestive problems (IBS, leaky gut and more), energy level, metabolism – some even buy it to improve heart health.
People looking for help for with cosmetic or beauty issues:
• Aging skin/wrinkles, hair growth and health, acne, and cellulite to name a few.
And – many people also search for a good collagen supplement for their dogs! It can greatly help with canine joint elasticity, ligaments, skin, coat – and is known to help with other health issues for dogs.
In short: There is no shortage of health or beauty reasons to take collagen, and luckily, there is also no shortage of different types and brands of supplements to choose from.
Read on – or click an item from the table of contents below to find out the best collagen supplement for your own personal needs…
- Best Collagen Supplements for Skin and Nails
- Best Collagen Supplements for Hair Growth
- Best Anti-Aging Collagen Supplements (for Face and Eye Wrinkles)
- Best Collagen Supplements for Weight Loss and Cellulite
- Best Collagen Supplements for Joints and Arthritis
- Best Collagen Supplements for IBS and Leaky Gut
- Best Collagen Supplements for Acne
- Best Collagen Supplements for Dogs
- 4 Main Benefits of Collagen Supplements – Video
- Final Note from the Author on Collagen Supplements
Best Collagen Supplements for Skin and Nails
Probably the most popular reason that people are turning to collagen is the improvement they are seeing with healthier, smoother skin and stronger, faster growing nails.
For skin: Not only does collagen support skin, keeping it healthier and more supple, it also is known to help skin to “turn over” (renew) faster, allowing it to heal faster and look younger.
For nails: A basic amino acid found in collagen called arginine is responsible for increasing blood circulation and nutrient supply right to the root of the fingernail. This helps along with the beginnings of nail growth, assisting with nail strength and apparently also can speed up growth.
Here are 3 of the best collagen supplements for skin and nails:
Neocell Collagen Beauty Builder Tablets
• Uses the most bio-active collagen
• Works with added biotin for increased effectiveness for skin
• Provides radiant and hydrated skin
• Gluten free
NeoCell is well-known for their products that both improve health and enhance beauty.
The theory being that beauty comes from within, and that when one feels healthy it shows on the outside – in the form of beautiful, glowing skin, hair and nails.
Skin can regain its elasticity, smoothness and softness, while hair increases in thickness and fullness and nails get stronger and look healthier.
Maintain your youthful skin, or improve its appearance for a younger, more vibrant look with Neocell Collagen Beauty Builder Tablets.
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate Powder
• Builds connective tissue (including skin)
• Helps to regulate and increase metabolism
• Bio-active collagen ingredients
• Contains 90% protein
• Absorbs rapidly
• Dissolves in hot or cold water or other beverages
I personally cannot say enough about this collagen powder – this is my personal favorite, and I literally use it every single day without fail.
Is it good for skin and nails? Absolutely.
As someone in my early 50’s, I had started to experience thinning skin (with the “crepey” effect”) and it had started to become much more sensitive to even the smallest abrasions.
Since I started taking it about three months ago, my skin has a whole new life – it is stronger with more elasticity, the texture is smoother, a couple of age spots on my face are disappearing and my skin is tightening up quite nicely. I also notice that my nails – to a marked degree – are indeed stronger.
While I am sure that all of the collagen supplements for skin on this page are effective, this one I will personally give my official “seal of approval.”
(Read my Great Lakes Collagen Review for more details on this product.)
Neocell Beauty Infusion Collagen Drink Mix
• Infused with multiple nutrients that enhance the beauty of skin (including biotin)
• Increases collagen levels of the body with types 1 and 3
• Strengthens and hydrates skin
• Multiple flavors
This drink mix is not only loaded with collagen, but other nutrients that are designed to go along with it for the maximum beauty effects.
Containing the types of collagen that are known to be best for skin and tissue (types 1 and 3), this product is getting quite nice reviews for its effects.
It comes in both cranberry and tangerine flavors, and has a light, delicious flavor – a real pleasure to drink, especially for those searching for something with a refreshing sweet taste.
(Known to work best when taken for at least three months, and it is recommended to drink on an empty stomach for best results.)
Best Collagen Supplements for Hair Growth
Similar to skin and nails, hair relies on collagen at the very root for its healthy growth. It helps with strength, elasticity and also is known to actually produce thicker hair right at the shaft.
Collagen helps to increase blood flow to the scalp and roots of hair, thus bringing in more nutrients, making hair stronger and grow faster.
Both my mother and I can attest to this! My mom had been losing her hair, and after two months of drinking a top-quality collagen powder, there is almost no hair loss, and her hair is thicker and fuller.
I also am noticing a difference with my own hair – my scalp feels healthier too!
Here are 3 of the best collagen supplements for hair:
Zhou Hairfluence Capsules
• Get beautiful, full, fast-growing, healthy hair!
• Gets to the “root” of the problem with hair by dealing with nutritional deficiencies that cause growth and other hair health problems – rather than dealing just with a cosmetic approach.
• Additional benefits – glowing skin and healthy nails! Skin is softer, stronger with more elasticity, and nails grow stronger and faster.
• Combines biotin and other nutrients with collagen to get the maximum benefit – ingredients interact beautifully and in harmony with one another.
Zhou Hairfluence is one of the most popular products on Amazon for its amazing effects with hair growth.
The product is unique in a number of ways – while biotin is its main ingredient, it is blended with hydrolyzed collagen, keratin and other nutrients that work together synergetically to produce the maximum effect on healthy hair, nails and skin.
You will notice your hair getting fuller, more vibrant and generally more beautiful – without trips to the beauty shop to get special treatments!
To really understand the full effect of this supplement, you can check out some of the ingredients and what they help to accomplish:
• Hydrolyzed collagen: Acts as a natural antioxidant with 18 important amino acids which assist with faster and healthier growth of cells with not only hair, but skin and nails too.
• Biotin: Works with existing hair and new growth for healthier hair
• Bamboo extract (contains silica): Silica provides nourishment for hair, skin and nails – helps with a more youthful appearance
• MSM: Helps the body to naturally produce its own collagen, again encouraging healthier hair, skin and nails
• Keratin: A form of protein in the body that naturally helps to protect and repair damaged hair
• 6 additional vitamins: These help the body to produce healthy cells and rid itself of damage – all centering toward the goal of healthier cells that form the basis of hair, skin and nails.
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate Powder
• Gelatin made with collagen protein from pasture raised cattle
• Unflavored (mild taste when mixed with plain water)
• Gluten free, non-GMO, no MSG
• Works well with the paleo diet
• Great as a protein supplement
Many, many people are turning to this product to help with healthy hair growth (as well as disappearing grays!) – including myself.
What exactly is its role with hair? Well, just as is true with healthy skin and nails, this collagen gets to the very basic parts of hair at the cell and helps to rebuild the proteins necessary to grow a full, healthy head of hair.
Not only have I (and my mother) had great results with this product, but the reviews on this are actually pretty amazing – you could even say that they are startling. There are raves on everything from how much faster their hair is growing and how thick it has become – to people who are saying that their “grays” are disappearing after several months!
If you are looking for one single collagen, this one is a great “go-to” – it gets the job done, and is one of the most popular (if not the most popular) all-around collagen hydrolysate products available today.
NeoCell Super Collagen Type 1 & 3 Powder
• Makes fine hair thicker and fuller
• Completely GMO and gluten free
• Gives maximum absorption of collagen proteins
• Utilizes collagen types 1 and 3
• Supports healthy collagen levels throughout the body (not just hair, but skin and nails too)
Here is another collagen product I have seen repeatedly as one of the best-sellers online, also having plenty of great reviews. While I have not myself tried this product, it appears to have an extremely high quality level and is getting great results with women and men who are using it to help their hair grow faster and feel and look healthier.
Like the Great Lakes brand, it is priced at a level that won’t strain the pocketbook.
While other types of collagen mostly advertise their effects with hair, skin and nails, this one also touts its effects on helping to strengthen weak, brittle bones as well as strengthen ligaments and tendons – so it looks like it would be a good choice for women and men past their “middle” years.
One thing that also stands out to me about this product is that it is also earth-friendly, with bottles made from 100% recycled materials!
Best Anti-Aging Collagen Supplements (for Face and Eye Wrinkles)
Collagen lotions and creams are long-known as helping the appearance of skin, reducing fine lines and wrinkles. But, it is a more recent discovery that collagen supplements also have a dramatic effect on fine lines and wrinkles.
These days there are a number of collagen supplements that are easily absorbed by the body and utilized by the deep layers of skin, giving it a firmer, plumper appearance and softer texture. The result? A reduction in fine lines and wrinkles! Yay!
Here are 3 of the best collagen supplements to help with fine lines and wrinkles:
Sanar Collagen Wrinkle Formula Capsules
• Concentrates on nourishing skin, smoothing fine lines and wrinkles
• Includes Rose Hips, Vitamin C and Vitamin E which work together with collagen to give new life to skin
• Replenishing protein (collagen hydrolysate) helps to provide what the skin needs to “rebuild” itself
• Increased energy and an overall more youthful feeling
• Also provides nourishment and strength to nails
One of the signs of the body decreasing its own production of collagen is, of course, fine lines and wrinkles about the eyes and on the face. This supplement zero’s right in on that point by providing not only the best type of collagen for skin, but combining it with special vitamins that also help to nourish skin and work together in harmony with the collagen to give even more benefit.
And – not only does this supplement provide extra collagen, it gives the body what it needs to produce it naturally on its own. This, in turn, helps with long-term skin-smoothing effects.
(At this writing, this supplement has more than 100 reviews on Amazon, with about a 4.3 (out of 5) star review. Not too shabby!)
Salcoll Collagen Skin Capsules
• Utilizes marine collagen extracted from skin of salmon
• 100% pure and natural
• Increases blood circulation to provide a healthy glow to skin
• Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
• Increases collagen levels, and encourages natural collagen production
Unique to other products thus far on this page, Salcoll Collagen capsules utilize a unique combination of marine collagen and Vitamin C.
One thing that I truly love about this product is the fact that it not only supplements collagen levels in the body, it also gives the body the boost it needs to produce its own collagen – naturally.
Not only does this product tout the benefits of smoother skin with less wrinkles and fine lines, it also (similar to the other products on this page) assists with hair growth and fullness, as well as healthier, stronger nails. It also is known to add a lovely glow to skin, with more natural moisture, deeply hydrating the skin.
Dr. Axe Multi-Collagen Protein Powder
• Includes 5 different types of collagen for maximum benefits to skin, hair, digestion and more
• Anti-aging benefits – helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles on face and tighter skin all-over
• Additionally supports muscles, tendons and ligaments
• Available in two forms – powder and capsules
• Comes with a 30 day guarantee
One of the more popular among collagen products, Dr. Axe Multi-Collagen Protein Powder is truly something special.
My main take on it is this: It has all your bases covered when it comes to collagen!
The 5 different types of collagen in this formula come from:
• Marine – Extracted from fish, this type of collagen is best known for its anti-aging benefits for skin, decreasing fine lines and wrinkles, as well as helping with all-around more hydrated, smoother skin. Known to be highly bio-available (is easily activated and used by the body)
• Bovine – Comes from pasture-raised, grass-fed cows in Argentina.
• Chicken – Known to assist with a variety of health problems, including arthritis, pain from surgery, as well as pain that goes along with back and neck problems.
• Egg – Contains 18 amino acids to assist the body with rebuilding tissues and helping with better skin, bones, tendons, ligaments and muscles.
Dr. Axe has become quite the authority and health and nutrition, and from what I have discovered, that notoriety is well-deserved. He really knows his stuff not only on collagen and its benefits for skin and other parts of the body, but is quite knowledgeable on many different health and nutrition subjects.
Definitely a good choice when it comes to collagen supplements.
Best Collagen Supplements for Weight Loss and Cellulite
How does collagen help with weight loss and cellulite? This is something that I can personally attest to – a great supplement does help with both loss of weight and the appearance of cellulite under the skin.
Collagen helps to rebuild muscle, which then will increase metabolism. Increased metabolism = faster weight (fat) loss.
Also, with the smoothing and strengthening effects that collagen supplements have on skin, it has more thickness, and a tightness that helps to eliminate the “loose” appearance of cellulite, leaving it looking and feeling smoother.
Here are 3 of the best collagen supplements for weight loss and cellulite:
Great Lakes Collagen Endurance Powder
• Contains combination of collagen (amino acids) and Vitamin B’s
• Promotes cell reactions that contribute to added energy and endurance
• Increases strength of muscles, joints and tendons
• Formulated to increase Creatine levels of the body
• Additional cosmetic benefits – healthier skin, hair and nails
For those who love a good workout requiring high levels of energy and endurance, you will likely love this product.
Another great pick from the Great Lakes company, similar to the other Collagen Hydrolysate in this guide, yet it is made to focus in more toward higher levels of energy. This helps the body to “hold up” to more strenuous workouts, helping to keep going without a feeling of exhaustion afterwards.
This most definitely helps with weight loss! (Doing the math is pretty simple on this one.)
How it works:
The combination of Collagen and Vitamin B’s in this product zero in on the production of Creatine in the body, which in turn, supplies muscles with the energy they need to move, with more endurance.
Extra benefits include healthier, younger skin, hair and nails. So, you can feel great and look great too!
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate Powder
• Helps to build muscle, allowing for faster fat burning
• Increases metabolism
• Gives energy level a nice boost too
• Readily dissolves in both hot and cold water
• Bovine collagen from pasture-raised, grass-fed cattle
You may have noticed by now that this is the 3rd mention of this product on this page, and there is a good reason for this: It WORKS very, very well for many purposes including – yes – help with weight loss.
But how exactly does it do that?
Many people experience – as their bodies grow older (and they begin to produce less and less collagen) – “softer” tissues, including “lazier” muscles. Since this collagen helps to rebuild tissues, including muscle, it works to firm up muscles and make them stonger.
Having stronger muscles increases metabolism, resulting in a faster fat-burning process.
And – it helps to satiate you, curbing cravings and generally reducing feelings of hunger.
I rave about this product – and I can tell you that one of the very first things that I noticed when I began taking it was an almost immediate increase of energy.
Yes, it works!
Health Direct AminoSculpt Liquid Collagen Peptides
• Made with Type 1 Collagen (best for anti-aging)
• Only Type 1 Collagen that is backed by 30 years of medical use and clinical research
• Highly concentrated doses
• Two delicious flavors
• Absorbs rapidly
First off – you might be asking, “What exactly are peptides?”
Peptides are two or more groups of amino acids linked together, forming the very basis of protein.
These collagen peptides then form the basis is what the body is lacking – firmness, suppleness, more moisture, more support – and yes, stronger muscles, higher metabolism and faster fat burning.
As is true with the Great Lakes product (above), this form of collagen is hydrolyzed, which means it has been broken down by use of water, making it much more “assimilatable” by the body – it’s known to give the feeling of sinking right in and doing the job right off the bat.
A unique attribute of this product is that it comes in two available flavors – Tart Cherry and Natural Mango.
So, you get a fun boost of flavor, with absolutely no sugar added.
Best Collagen Supplements for Joints and Arthritis
Many people simply look for “a collagen supplement” to help along with joints and arthritis. Actually, there are different types of collagen, and when it comes to helping with suppleness of joints as well as the inflammation and stiffness that goes along with arthritis, supplements containing type 2 collagen are known to be the best.
As people age and their bodies begin to produce less and less collagen, their ligaments and tendons begin to break down and move less easily, which can then lead to additional joint problems, stiffness and swelling. Collagen can ease movement by “lubricating” those areas, as well as benefiting by helping to prevent joint deterioration and rebuild cartilage. Which is where the right supplements come into play!
Here are 3 of the best collagen supplements for joints and arthritis:
Dr. Axe Multi-Collagen Protein Powder
• Provides type 2 collagen (among 4 others)
• Lubricates joints
• Reduces joint pain
• Eases movement
• Helps reduce pain and inflammation association with arthritis and other joint health issues
Well renowned author and nutrition expert Dr. Axe knows what he is talking about when it comes to various types of arthritis, joint pain and those conditions’ relationship to collagen.
Per his article that I read on the subject, here is how it works:
• At around age 30, the body begins to produce less collagen, causing a breakdown and weakening in various tissues of the body.
• Since collagen (naturally produced by the body) acts as a sort of lubricant to joints, when those joints begin to get less and less collagen, they can begin to act sort of like “squeaky hinges” that need to be “oiled.”
• The joints can then begin to experience a sort of friction when they move, causing stiffness, discomfort, pain and sometimes swelling.
Enter Dr. Axe’s Multi Collagen Protein supplement – it includes the specific collagen (type 2) that has proven to most effectively help with joint discomforts, disorders and various types of arthritis.
This supplement is known to lubricate the joints, and ease any sort of joint stiffness and discomfort, reduces swelling associated with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
The result? Easier movement, enhanced daily activities and relief!
Neocell Collagen 2 Joint Complex Capsules
• Contains Type 2 collagen for ultimate joint support
• With additional ingredients that pack a power punch to help with joint problems
• Lubricates joints
• Increases range of motion with movement
• Helps to renew collagen levels, providing relief
Since I began my own research into collagen and its effects on joints and other physical issues, I have come across the name “Neocell” multiple times, and each time I become more and more impressed with their products.
This particular product, Neocell Collagen 2 Joint Complex, not only provides the exact type of collagen needed for joint relief (type 2), but it also provides additional ingredients that help those with arthritis and other joint disorders even more.
Hyaluronic acid helps the body to rebuild connective tissue, glucosamine and chondroitin (well-known for greatly assisting with healthy joints) and other ingredients combined with collagen in order to provide maximum benefit.
Those who can benefit from this supplement:
• Athletes who go through a lot of wear and tear on joints
• Those with reduced range of motion
• Those who experience joint pain and swelling from arthritis or other joint disorders
• People who experience joint stiffness
Quite a number of consumer reviews attest to lessened pain and stiffness, some even were able to avoid surgery and other more drastic measures which could have created additional physical problems.
MAV Nutrition Premium Multi-Collagen Protein Powder
• Complete collagen protein, using type I, II, III, IV and X
• Utilizes grass-fed beef for its bovine collagen
• Also uses collagen from fish, chicken and eggs
• Multiple benefits, including help with joint problems
• Comes with a 60 day money back guarantee
Similar to the Dr. Axe Multi-Collagen above, this collagen protein powder contains multiple types in order to cover “all the bases.”
It is reported to work quite well with people who experience joint issues, whether they are athletes (who put a great deal of stress on their muscles, joints and tendons), or those who are having physical disorders such as rheumatism or arthritis.
In additional to soothing and easing joint problems, it is reported to also help regenerate cartilage – which means long-term effects.
Some of the additional benefits include a more youthful appearance, faster-growing, thicker hair and stronger nails, better digestion, assistance with weight loss and smoothing out cellulite, higher energy level and an overall nice boost in metabolism.
My impression: This is probably a good choice if you are specifically searching for a multiple-type collagen, and the cost of the Dr. Axe powder is too high. (This is apparently about the same thing – although I can’t attest to that personally – with a lower price tag.
Best Collagen Supplements for IBS and Leaky Gut
A number of gastrointestinal illnesses and disorders can stem from one thing – various kinds of abnormalities with the “gut,” or the digestive tract.
This is where collagen comes in – it is soothing and healing to the colon and digestive system, thereby sealing the protective lining and preventing and helping to improve the condition of the digestive system.
This, in turn, can improve conditions with a number of ailments including leaky gut syndrome, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) colitis, acid reflux and others.
Needless to say, having the right kind of collagen to hand is quite important, and can provide a huge amount of relief!
Here are 3 of the best collagen supplements for leaky gut syndrome and IBS:
Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth Protein Powder
• Contains 20g of protein per serving
• Does not contain added salt, sugar or artificial ingredients (such as preservatives, colors, etc.)
• Works well with the Paleo Diet
• Free of allergens and works well for many who have food sensitivities
• All natural, GMO free
The type of collagen needed for gut problems such as leaky gut and IBS is Type II. Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth protein supplement has it – and how!
Rather recently being added to the superfoods “hot list,” bone broth is extremely soothing and healing to the lining of the gut, repairing what is called “leaky gut syndrome,” as well as assisting in just about any type of digestive issues.
This product also contains Glucosaimine and Chondroitin to give an added “punch” for those who are suffering from joint problems.
It has other benefits too, but this type of protein is definitely one of the ways to help those problematic digestive problems and discomforts including both leaky gut and IBS.
Dr. Axe Multi-Collagen Protein Powder
• Contains multiple collagens, including Type I, II, III, V and X
• Promotes healthy digestion
• Assists with leaky gut syndrome and IBS
• Boosts metabolism and energy level
• Improves health of hair, skin and nails
This product has come up repeatedly on my own research on collagen proteins and their effects, and there is a good reason why: People who use it, LOVE it!
While a bit more on the “pricey” side, apparantly if you are looking for the absolute best available on the market, this one would probably be it. (I also have heard wonderful things about my personal favorite hydrolyzed collagen in terms of leaky gut and IBS, which has a comparable level of popularity to this Dr. Axe product.)
With multiple types of collagen, this supplement will definitely fit your needs if you are searching for something that will not only help with leaky gut or IBS, but are also interested in assistance with hair loss, weight loss, metabolism and energy increase, anti-aging effects and/or joint problems.
Jarrow Beyond Bone Broth
• Contains both Type I and Type II collagen protein
• Can be used either as a beef flavored beverage or with cooking
• Known to be effective with both digestive and joint problems
• Additionally contains chondroitin and other minerals
One of the more popular bone broth products, Jarrow’s “Beyond Bone Broth” goes a step further with its collagen – it includes two Types (I and II), and is known to not only help with digestive problems such as leaky gut and IBS, but also is a helpful supplement when it comes to joint stiffness and other cartilage and joint problems.
Unique from the other products I have mentioned on this page, this type of collagen is flavorful, allowing someone to drink it (if he or she enjoys the flavor of broth), or it can be used in recipes for cooking.
According to customer reviews, most people who buy it love the flavor, and it is a good way to add much more nutritional value to soups and other dishes.
Best Collagen Supplements for Acne
Given the fact that collagen is so good for the skin with its healing and strengthening properties, it is also good for acne.
When acne forms on the skin, it actually becomes damaged beneath the surface, just as it would from any kind of wound. Enter collagen – it does its job healing and strengthening skin, thereby preventing scarring from the acne condition.
Collagen also helps to prevent acne from occurring, and also apparently helps the body to eliminate it with the same tactic – strengthening the skin.
The form of protein that is contained in a collagen supplement provides a different type than meat, and helps to make the skin stronger so that it is able to fight off the acne.
I have recently read up on the subject of collagen and acne, and the results are unmistakable – it really works! But, I would recommend that someone work on it consistently (daily) in order to truly see great results.
Here are 3 of the best collagen supplements for acne:
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate Powder
• Assists with acne breakouts from within, helps skin to heal breakouts
• Helps with antioxidant deficiency, which is a major cause of acne
• Contains Type I collagen – highly recommended for skin
• Derived from grass-fed cattle
• Additional Benefits
This gelatin product from Great Lakes has some pretty impressive raves and reviews when it comes to treating acne.
It has a multi-pronged effect: It strengthens skin from within, helping to prevent acne in the first place, it helps to heal skin quickly which helps with reducing existing acne and scarring – and it also helps people to sleep better – a more indirect cause of acne breakouts.
This is actually the 4th mention on this age of Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate, and while it happens to be my personal favorite, my opinion here is actually unbiased – the “top” position is actually coming from what other people are saying about it – which I happen to agree with.
I personally recommend taking the product as directed daily, and give it at least 30-60 days to see more results. (You may see some results within the first week, but I recommend giving it more time to expect additional results to show.)
Neocell Super Collagen Powder
• Contains Type I and III collagens – best for many types of skin problems including acne
• Repairs tissues from within, at the basic level
• Improves skin elasticity
• Increases firmness of skin, helps keep skin hydrated and healthy
One of the more popular brands of collagen, Neocell does it again with their Super Collagen Powder.
While Neocell has quite a lineup of different collagen products, and all of them (at least to some degree) would likely help handle skin problems, this one appears to be the most prominent in terms of its effects on acne and other skin conditions.
This Neocell product contains hydrolyzed collagen, which means it is broken down with the use of water and is much more easily and effectively assimilated by the body.
It looks like this supplement is a good bet if you are looking for something as an alternative to Great Lakes – in 2012 it even won the “Best of Natural Beauty” award from “betternutrition!”
Nutribioticals Acneblitz Capsules
• Most popular acne supplement on Amazon
• Effective for pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, cystic and hormonal acne
• Eliminates skin blotchiness and redness
• Helps with skin oiliness
• Recommended to take while on a “clean diet” (free of ‘bad’ fats, refined sugar, alcohol, caffeine and junk food in general)
Unique to all other supplements listed on this page, collagen is one of the lesser ingredients – but it is definitely part of the effectiveness of this product. Other ingredients include key vitamins such as C, E and A as well as Thiamin, Riboflavin and a combination of B’s.
Is well-known for working quite effectively – fast!
This product appears to be relatively new on the market (as of this writing) – the reviews I read are generally from late 2017 and early 2018, and I verified that they are legitimate. The raves from consumers are the proof – this product really works, and if you are searching for something to clear up acne or other skin problems fast, this might just be the best one available.
Best Collagen Supplements for Dogs
There are a number of reasons why it is a great idea to provide your best (canine) friend with a regular collagen supplement. The most popular of these reasons is for joint inflammation and pain – just as is true for people, dogs begin to produce less collagen as they get up in years, which can cause problems with soft tissues and joints.
Collagen helps dogs in a very similar way to people – it can help to strengthen tissues, lubricate joints and reduce joint pain and inflammation.
In addition to providing healing and comfort to joints, it is also a wonderful way to help your pup have better skin and healthy coat.
Here are 3 of the best collagen supplements for dogs:
ArmWorks Great Lakes Gelatin Protein for Dogs & Cats
• Works for either dogs or cats
• Helps with a healthy and active lifestyle by increasing levels of energy and alertness
• Boosts immune system
• Notice benefits within 3 weeks
• Great taste – easy to add to food without worry
The first thing I want to mention about this supplement are the comments given in reviews – words like “miracle,” “life-saving” and other raves are very reassuring, and make it quite easy for me to highly recommend this product.
It’s made in conjunction by both Armworks and the Great Lakes company (which makes my favorite type of “human collagen”), which again is quite reassuring in terms of its effectiveness. These companies know what they are doing – and then some.
Perhaps especially for older dogs, this product is known to work amazingly well for stiffness, arthritic conditions and low energy levels. It is also a wonderful way to give your dog or cat a hand when healing from wounds or surgeries.
One more wonderful “feature” of this product is its flavor – unlike some other supplements and medicines, dogs and cats tend to love the taste. That makes giving it to your little friend much easier, which equals even more peace of mind for pet owners.
Makondo Pets Joint Support Supplement for Dogs and Cats (Bacon Flavor)
• Contains Hydrolyzed Collagen and Vitamin C
• Other key ingredients: Glucosaine, Chondroitin, MSM and Fish Oil – a powerful combination for easing joint pain and stiffness
• Beef liver flavor
• 100% money back guarantee
Another very hot selling dog supplement on Amazon, Makondo Pets Joint Support is, based on the reviews I read, performing miracles with dogs who are older, who have injuries or for any reason have problems with stiffness or soreness of joints.
Works for any size dog, and reportedly has a flavor that dogs love, so it is not difficult to administer to your furry friend.
While the best type of collagen is used, it is also combined with other powerful ingredients (Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM), any of which would help an elderly dog with joint problems.
This supplement is also recommended for dogs with skin issues, as it can greatly help with its restorative effects to skin and coat.
K9 Collagen Healthy Joints Powder
• 100% natural (no artificial/chemical ingredients)
• Extracted from marine collagen (Type I)
• Extremely effective for help with joints
• Improves skin and joint health
• Boosts immune system, helping to prevent future ailments
Apparently designed especially for dogs with a bit of age under their belts, this collagen supplement appears to be quite effective for dogs with hip and joint problems.
I was not able to consult consumer reviews, since there are not given for this product (as of this writing), but I was able to find out that there has been quite a bit of “noise” about it on the internet that supports the effectiveness of this supplement.
In addition to supporting collagen levels, this supplement also helps to boost the natural production of collagen, which helps with mobility and joint problems even more.
It reportedly helps a great deal not only with joint stiffness, but also with swelling and pain – as well as helping along healthy skin and coat.
4 Main Benefits of Collagen Supplements – Video
Dr. Axe is mentioned a few times on this page – and there is a good reason for that. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to nutrition and health, including what collagen does.
In the video below, he discusses the fact that collagen is the supplement that he takes the most, and what the main benefits of collagen are:
Final Note from the Author on Collagen Supplements
Collagen is fast becoming one of the most popular supplements available today. The reasons to use it are many, and with the rave reviews coming in from consumers about “unhandle-able” problems now handled, it is no wonder that the word is spreading fast on one of the most effective health and beauty supplements out there.
While the medical community verdict still seems to be “out” on the subject of collagen and some of its benefits, it’s hard to deny this fact: People are seeing REAL RESULTS from using it.
Pesonally, I use it every single day. I originally began to take it for its anti-aging effects for skin, but quickly discovered many wonderful “side effects,” including a wonderful early morning “boost,” increased metabolism, stronger and healthier nails – and have noticed a huge difference in some digestive problems I had.
While I am sure that many of the supplements given above are wonderful, I actually have a personal favorite. You can read about my favorite collagen supplement here.
No matter what your condition (from the list above), rest assured that one of the top picks of collagen supplements will very likely be right up your alley.
Let me know what you think! Has this article helped you find the kind of collagen you need? What are your thoughts and experiences on collagen supplements?
Leave a comment below – I would love to hear from you!
Related Articles – You Might Also Like…
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate Review
The Vitamin Gal’s review of Great Lakes Gelatin collagen supplement…
Best Hair Growth Vitamins, Supplements and Natural Remedies
Top hair growth vitamins, supplements and natural remedies