Why Take Vitamins and Supplements for Hair Growth?
There are quite a number of situations that would warrant taking a look at just what might be the best hair growth vitamins, supplements and natural remedies. There are those who want to grow their hair faster, those who need it to be stronger, healthier and thicker, and then there are those who might have physical issues and/or deficiencies resulting in hair loss.
When looking for just the right supplement or remedy, it can be quite important to know which one or ones will work the best for your own given situation.
What Causes Hair Loss?
Most of the time, hair loss can be a temporary situation and may stem from a number of different factors, including:
- Diet (lacking the right nutrition)
- Genetics (hereditary) pattern baldness (male or female)
- Specific types of medications and treatments, including chemotherapy, blood pressure medications and birth control pills
- Various medical conditions, including diabetes, thyroid conditions and anemia
- Cosmetic procedures (bleaching and coloring hair, hair styles and treatments that tend to pull on hair and scalp, etc.)
- Pregnancy and childbirth
The good news: Quite often, even in situations which seem “irreversible,” it can be possible to have a solution to the problem of hair growth by means of supplements and other natural means. That is because many of the above situations can exist as – or result in – some sort of deficiency which can actually be corrected!
Tip: This guide is extensive. Use the menu below to locate the specific information you might be looking for in hair growth supplements and remedies.
- 5 Best Vitamins and Supplements for Thickening Hair and Hair Growth
- How to Use the 5 Best Vitamins and Supplements for Hair Growth – Video
- Make Your Own Shampoo for Hair Loss – Recipe
- 2 Best Minerals for Hair Growth
- The Best Vitamin Supplement for Faster Hair Growth
- Best Collagen Powder Supplement for Hair Growth
- Best Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Hair Growth?
- 5 Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth
- Best Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Growth
- Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar and How to Use it for Hair Growth
- Best Juicing and Juice Recipes for Hair Growth
- Best Vegetables and Fruits to Juice for Hair Growth
- Best Juicing Recipes for Hair Growth
- What About Prenatal Vitamins for Hair Growth?
- Final Words on Nutrition, Vitamins and Supplements for Hair Growth – Note from the Author
5 Best Vitamins and Supplements for Thickening Hair and Hair Growth
While there are quite a number of different natural remedies for hair growth, there are 5 key vitamins and supplements that, if used in the right amounts and often enough, will help to grow healthier, thicker hair.
When used together, they can have a much more significant effect, in fact you should see good results in about two weeks!
These 5 key vitamins and supplements include…
Aloe Vera (Juice and Gel)
There are a number of wonderful health benefits that come from using aloe vera, plus it is effective in a few ways when it comes to growing thicker, healthier hair.
Aloe vera gel – You are probably well aware of the fact that aloe vera gel has some pretty great benefits for the skin. It is quite soothing and conditioning, which is actually one of its properties that makes it excellent for hair growth. When you apply the gel directly to the scalp, it conditions and gives the scalp a better environment for hair to grow.
In a similar way, aloe vera helps when it comes damage to hair from radiation – once the gel is applied to the scalp, the skin generates a special kind of protein that helps along hair growth after damage.
The last way that aloe vera gel helps when applied to scalp – it has antifungal and antibacterial properties which helps with dandruff conditions, and the enzymes from it will help the scalp to rid itself of dead skin cells. In this way, it encourages growth of tissue around the follicles – which in turn assists with hair growth.
Aloe vera juice – Drinking aloe vera juice (about a cup per day) gives plenty of health benefits with a pile of vitamins and minerals – some of which nourish, strengthen and can help to thicken hair.
The juice form of aloe vera also contains polysaccharides, which help to strengthen and thicken hair from the “inside out.”
In short – either the juice or gel forms of aloe vera will assist with hair growth, and help to make hair healthier, stronger and thicker.
Drinking the juice and using the gel together? Just that much more benefit!
What you need:
• Natur Sense Organic Aloe Vera Gel
• Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice
Collagen Hydrolysate Protein
I cannot say enough about collagen protein and its benefits. I have some personal experience in how it assists with hair growth as well as how much it helps to give smoother, younger skin, stronger nails – and a higher energy level with a metab boost (to boot)!
Since collagen production slows gradually with age – and is a very important element that keeps the body producing what it needs for healthy skin, nails and hair – it is of course one of the best ways to generate more and healthier hair growth.
One very important reason to use the collagen powder (or bone broth) – Unless you are taking it every day in the form of a supplement, you simply will not get it in your diet. And, at around age 25-30, the body is not generating enough of its own.
The fact is it is necessary to obtain collagen from nutritional sources, and probably the simplest way to get it is through a supplement (as opposed to food).
Of all the supplements in this list, collagen protein probably has the most pronounced effect in terms of thickening hair.
What you need:
• Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate Powder, or…
• Dr. Axe Multi-Collagen Protein Powder, or…
• Bone Broth Collagen Powder
There are a couple of B vitamins included in B-Complex that can assist with hair growth.
The first of these “Bs” is Biotin, naturally helps to thicken hair (also helping with skin and nails).
The second of the key “Bs” for hair growth is B5 (also known as Pantothenic Acid), which is a supportive element to the adrenal glands – also linked to hair growth.
While you do have the option of taking Biotin and Vitamin B5 individually, it is highly recommended to use a good B-Complex, since other B vitamins go along with them to assist with energy levels, hormones and more.
Note: Good food sources of both Biotin and B5 include:
(Here is a more extensive list of foods that are good sources of these B vitamins.)
Here is what you need:
• Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw B-Complex
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil is another popular (and effective) treatment for healthy hair growth.
The key element in rosemary oil is rosmarinic acid, which naturally thickens hair. In addition to thickening hair, it also blocks a hormone in the body called DHT, which is behind both male pattern baldness and women’s hair loss or hair thinning.
In fact, rosemary is actually the most powerful herbal supplement (and in this case herbal essential oil) to actually stop the process of hair loss.
How to use rosemary essential oil: About half an hour before you are planning to take a shower, mix a few drops (5-6) with about a tsp. of olive oil, or mix it with aloe vera gel and massage it into the scalp for a few minutes. Allow it to remain on the scalp for about half an hour, then shampoo and rinse.
PS: Cedarwood and sage essential oils are two more great essential oils for hair growth – you can also check out my list of the best essential oils for hair growth for more information.
Here is what you need:
• Mary Tylor Naturals Organic Rosemary Essential Oil, or…
• Plant Therapy Organic Rosemary Essential Oil
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Omega 3 fatty acids are also highly beneficial to hair growth and prevention of hair loss.
These fatty acids are unsaturated, and are absolutely key for proper body function. And – they are not naturally produced by the body so they must be taken in via nutrition, either from foods or supplements.
Hair follicles love them since they are quite nourishing, and are also soothing and healing for skin (scalp) – helping to prevent loss of hair caused by inflammation.
Omega 3s come in different forms, so if you lean more toward any of these, one or more should do the job. They include flax oil, fish oil and cod liver oil.
It is recommended to get about 1000-3000 mg per day.
Note: A few good food sources of Omega 3 fatty acids include:
- Seafood (salmon, sardines, albacore tuna and more)
- Grass-fed beef
- Flax seeds
Here is an article from Dr. Axe that gives a more extensive list of these foods.
Here is what you need:
• Barlean’s Organic Lignan Flax Oil, or…
• Barlean’s Organic Oils Fresh Catch Omega-3 Fish Oil, or…
• Barlean’s Organic Oils Fresh Catch Cod Liver Oil
How to Use the 5 Best Vitamins and Supplements for Hair Growth – Video
Below is a video from Dr. Axe, in which he gives some very helpful tips on the 5 items above – information on each, how much to use, etc.
Tip: Below the video, check out the ingredients list and link to the recipe to make a wonderful shampoo for better hair growth!
Make Your Own Shampoo for Hair Loss – Recipe
In the video just above, Dr. Axe mentions a shampoo recipe using a few of the ingredients from the above list of vitamins and supplements for hair loss.
The shampoo is super-easy to make, and basically you just mix together the ingredients, put them in the right kind of container, store and use when you take a shower or a bath!
What You Need:
• Aloe vera gel (need at least 6 ounces)
• Olive oil
• Baking soda
• Rosemary essential oil
• Peppermint essential oil
• Plastic bottle (BPA free)
Here is the recipe for the shampoo.
2 Best Minerals for Hair Growth
There are a couple of minerals that you should also take notice of when working to grow hair thicker, better and faster. Here they are…
How does zinc help hair grow better and faster?
When someone is deficient in zinc, it can affect the structure of hair follicles due to a protein breakdown of the hair follicle. This, in turn, causes people to lose their hair.
And visa-versa – having enough zinc in the diet (from food and/or supplements) can bring about a recovery of hair growth by providing a healthier level of what is needed in order to improve the protein structure of follicles.
In addition, zinc is also helpful in balancing out hormones, which also has an effect on hair growth.
Zinc is considered to be absolutely essential to not only a healthy head of hair, but also for other health reasons – there are a number of additional benefits to taking zinc, including:
• Acts as an antioxidant – Key to fighting off free radicals and preventing disease, including cancer.
• Fights off and helps get rid of colds
• Increases immunity – There are a number of immune-boosting vitamins and supplements, and zinc is definitely among them.
• Balances hormones – Since zinc is an important factor in hormone production, when someone is deficient it can create some undesirable effects. And visa versa.
• Regulates blood sugar levels and helps fight off diabetes – Helps the body to have the proper insulin production, which results in regulation of blood sugar.
• Assists in digestion and digestive disorders – Works to prevent diarrheal problems as well as helping the body to use foods more efficiently for higher energy levels and metabolism.
• Helps keep liver healthy
• Increases fertility
Those are several of the highlights of the importance of zinc to the body, but the list doesn’t even end there!
In short – zinc is critical part of being and staying healthy.How to get enough zinc?
• Look for foods that are high in protein and/or supplements to increase your zinc intake
What you need:
• Garden of Life Raw Zinc
If you are not getting enough iron in your diet, it can definitely be cause for losing your hair. In fact, it is one of the most well-known links to what is called “telogen effluvium,” which is most common with women, with hair loss spread over the entire scalp rather than concentrated in a single area.
But there are some important things to know about iron supplementation…
The best way to get it is to add iron-rich foods to your daily diet, and use a good multivitamin (with iron) rather than using an individual iron supplement (unless directed by a doctor).
This is because too much iron supplementation can cause what is called “iron overload,” which is actually harmful, and supplements that are just composed of iron can be too concentrated.
What you need:
• Nature’s Way Alive! Max3 Food-Based Daily Adult Multivitamin (with iron)
The Best Vitamin Supplement for Faster Hair Growth
As you can probably see from the volume of information on this page, there are quite a number of vitamins, supplements and other remedies for hair growth. But what about a specific vitamin and supplement combination that is all-in for getting hair to grow faster?
There are a few products that stand out as being popular over the long-term, but one stands out more than all the rest.
Hairfluence Hair Growth Vitamin and Supplement Formula
• Perfect for all hair types.
• Made from All-Natural Ingredients—Zero Additives and Non-GMO
• Contains a combo of hair-strengthening Biotin, hydrating Bamboo Extract, cell-rejuvenating Collagen, and a healthy dose of antioxidant-rich Vitamin C
• Also combines the protective protein Keratin with rich Folic Acids, oxygenating Vitamin B12, and volumizing Vitamin D3
• NOTE: Use as label recommends unless otherwise instructed by a licensed physician.
When thicker, fuller, beautiful, and healthier hair is the aim, Hairfluence Hair Growth Vitamin and Supplement Formula is a no-brainer go-to.
This essential is a dietary supplement with plant-based ingredients and high doses of all-natural vitamins segmented into 60 vegetable capsules. Ergo, these vitamins take care of everything your scalp, and body, would need to promote healthier, stronger, more voluminous hair growth. It gets to the roots of the issue…see what I did there?
The vitamins within each capsule are hard hitters in heavy doses, which includes Biotin, Bamboo Extract, Collagen, Keratin, Vitamin B12, and Folic Acid—all of which revitalize cells, stimulate follicles, and nourish existing hair.
Where to Buy:
• Buy @ Amazon.com
Best Collagen Powder Supplement for Hair Growth
Collagen is another key supplement for hair growth due to its ability to stimulate blood flow at the scalp, thereby helping with hair growth.
In addition to helping with more and healthier hair, collagen protein is also wonderful for skin and nails, helping to smoothe out skin, wrinkles and also for nails to grow stronger and faster.
When searching for a really great collagen supplement for hair, there are a couple of key things to look for:
• It should come from pasture-raised and grass-fed cattle
• It should be hydrolyzed (broken down by water into a more assimilate-able form)
One collagen powder supplement in particular is getting lots and lots of raves in consumer reviews and is consistently a top seller on a number of health food and vitamin websites. (I personally can attest to it – I use it every day!).
Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate Powder
• Soluble in cold liquids, like ice water [which is recommended]
• Contains high doses of Collagen and Protein to strengthen follicles and nerves, rejuvenate connective tissues, rehydrate skin cells and blood vessels, and regulate your overall metabolism
• You can also add two tablespoons to hot liquids, such as cocoa or sweet tea, if you’d prefer a vitamin-rich, body-warming beverage
• Encourages new, thick hair growth
• NOTE: Does NOT thicken like classic gelatin
Gelatin is usually associated with different flavors—perhaps set in a pudding-esque cup that your kiddo would take for a preschool snack. However, the gelatin in Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate Powder is completely different, since it dissolves, totally, in hot or cold liquid. No pudding packs or fridge time here.
This powder is an excellent source of pure, unadulterated Protein. Kind of like what you would mix into a breakfast or post-workout smoothie—only more powerful with an extra vitamin kick for your health, skin, and nails.
Aside from Collagen Protein, this amazing supplement contains a hard-hitting dose of Amino Acids, which are naturally produced by your body and are the building blocks of protein. These give your body an extra strengthening power for bones, joints, tendons, and other connective tissues.
Dissolve two tablespoons into a hot or cold beverage twice daily.
Where to Buy:
• Buy @ Thrive Market (best price I have found)
• Buy @ Amazon.com
Best Biotin for Hair Growth
Biotin (also known as Vitamin B7) is responsible for rebuilding and keeping hair healthy and strong – also having other very important health and cosmetic benefits.
While there are cosmetic products that contain biotin, such as hair masques and other beauty products, they are relatively ineffective when compared to a good supplement since they are not absorbed nearly as well.
One way to get biotin through a supplement is by using a good B-Complex vitamin. The “complex” form contains additional B vitamins, which are also important and have additional health benefits. However, it can be purchased as a stand-alone vitamin, which seems to be the most popular way for people to use it specifically for helping to grow and strengthen hair.
Natrol Biotin Maximum Strength Tablets
• Encourages natural, healthy growth and maintenance of thick, full hair, strong nails, and radiant, clear skin
• 100-Percent Vegetarian Ingredients with all-natural vitamin boosts
• Includes energy-increasing Vitamin B12, cell-strengthening Biotin, and metabolism-boosting Vitamin B7
• Supports a strong and healthy metabolism with easier, quicker conversion of food into energies
• Contains a high dose of plant-based Lutein for hydrated cells, better skin elasticity, and elimination of age spots, small wrinkles, and fine lines
Natrol Biotin Maximum Strength Tablets is something AH-MAZING for ALL hair types, regardless of what kind of hair or care plan you follow. Why? Because Biotin is THE perfect B vitamin to help strengthen, volumize, beautify, and replenish every hair type. It’s a coenzyme, one that helps connect and strengthen the benefits of your fats, good carbs, and proteins within your metabolism.
Biotin, in recommended doses, helps grow, revitalize, strengthen your hair and nails, as well as rehydrate and nourish your skin cells from the inside out. Take one pill per day with a glass of water for quicker, maximum absorption.
Where to Buy:
• Buy @ Amazon.com
• Buy @ SwansonVitamins.com
Best Castor Oil for Hair Growth
When I first discovered that castor oil could be used for hair growth, I was pretty skeptical, and almost didn’t look into it. I am so glad that I did!
Man, oh man, my grandma really knew what she was talking about when it came to natural remedies – she was a regular user of castor oil, for a number of things. I should have paid more attention.
During some recent research, I found out that castor oil is actually packed with all kinds of good stuff that is beneficial for both skin and hair, and is a wonderful natural beauty treatment.
It contains some key elements which help both the scalp and hair, including antifungal and antibacterial properties, minerals, proteins, beneficial fatty acids and Vitamin E.
There are a few different ways that castor oil helps to prevent hair loss, and assists with better hair growth:
• It keeps the scalp healthy and free of conditions that might inhibit hair growth (unhealthy hair follicles, dandruff, etc).
• It increases circulation, which encourages healthier and faster hair growth.
• It balances scalp pH, which helps to restore the scalp’s own natural oils.
• It supports keratin, further encouraging hair growth.
Reportedly, hair growth can be boosted up to 3 or 5 times its normal rate! Wow!
There are a few different choices when it comes to purchasing a great castor oil – since I always recommend to “go organic,” I have a specific recommendation for you:
Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil
• Cold-pressed, all-natural Castor Oil, harvested from India, and unrefined for heavy doses of raw vitamins and minerals
• Promote strength, growth, and overall health of eyelashes, hair, skin, and nails
• Use on feet and hands to heal cracks, rehydrate skin cells, and repair weather or work damage
• Massage a few drops onto lips to combat chapping and weather damage, or massage into eyebrows to promote a better, deeper sleep
• Contains a vitamin-rich combo of organic, beautifying Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Peppermint Oil
• NOTE: Castor Oil has been used for the treatment of small infections, but you should consult a physician before applying this oil to skin irritations or injuries.
In olden days, Castor Oil was a no-nonsense remedy for almost everything—and kids hated it. Why? Because the Castor Oil of olden days tasted and smelled awful. However, Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil smells amazing—kind of like a refreshing blend of earthy nuts and peppermints. This is thanks to an added dose of Jojoba Oil and Peppermint Oil—both of which work together to maximize the silken, soothing benefits of the Castor Oil.
There are a dozen different ways you could use this nutrient-rich concoction of essential oils. For instance, to strengthen your hair and promote new growth, you could massage 2-3 tablespoons into your scalp before bedtime. Then wrap your hair in a knot, sleep on it, and wash it all out with regular shampoo in the a.m.
Quick, easy, and simple for a beautiful you.
Where to Buy:
• Buy @ Amazon.com
Best Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
How does coconut oil help with hair growth?
There are a number of nutrients in coconut oil, and it is becoming one of the most widely-used remedies for a number of things, including hair loss or helping hair to grow thicker and faster.
One of those nutrients is lauric acid, a special kind of fatty acid that makes up about half of all the fatty acids in coconut oil. Lauric acid has anti-bacterial properties, which improves the health of the scalp. The fatty acids also penetrate the shaft of hair, helping to improve its health.
In addition to this, coconut oil helps to remove excess sebum (oils from hair follicles), which increases its ability even more to improve follicle health and increase amount of hair growth.
Which coconut oil is the best for hair growth?
When choosing a coconut oil to use on skin and scalp, it is wise to use something that is raw, extra virgin and organic.
Below is the one that I recommend – it has all of those benefits, and is a great all-purpose coconut oil as well:
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
• Organic, Extra Virgin, Cold-Pressed, Pure, and Unrefined for strength, potency, and raw vitamins and minerals in their purest forms
• Melts upon contact with skin, or at 76 degrees Fahrenheit
• Can be used multiple healthy and beautifying ways, such as cooking or oil pulling
• Boasts a shelf life of two years, but keep the oil in a cool, dry place until use
• Nut-free, non-GMO, no pesticides or additives—Simply pure and certified organic coconut oil
• Promotes healthy, strong teeth, skin, hair, nails, and overall excellent bodily health
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is used for darn near everything—from whitening teeth, to boosting your metabolism, to building a better, stronger immune system, to improving the overall good health of your heart and other internal organs. However, where hair is concerned, this organic, amazing oil is a strengthener and revitalizer, with nutrients that promote new hair growth, healthier follicles, and radiant shine.
Coconut Oil melts at 76 degrees Fahrenheit, or upon skin contact—so, keep yours in a cool, dry place until you’re ready to use it.
Did you know that coconuts are rich in fiber and protein? Yep, the meat of the coconut are packed with both, which means you get all of the benefits in one tablespoon of oil.
Where to Buy:
• Buy @ Amazon.com
How to Use Coconut Oil for Hair Growth?
Before you take a shower, melt about 1 tsp of the coconut oil and massage it into the scalp with a bit of pressure for approximately 10 minutes. After that, you can shampoo well and rinse. (Check out the hair loss shampoo recipe on this page to achieve even more benefits!
Tip: Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to get even better results, since rosemary oil is also known as a powerful hair growth remedy!
5 Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth
The benefits of using essential oils for hair are many – and regardless of the cause of your hair loss, it seems that you have your bases covered.
What do all of the essential oils on the list below have in common?
They increase circulation, add moisture to the scalp and hair, reduce inflammation and improve overall scal health and hair follicles. All of these factors help to have thicker, healthier, more beautiful hair.
• I recommend trying essential oils over any shampoo or scalp treatment with chemicals and/or artificial ingredients – they are safer and work much better to improve the health of scalp and hair, especially in the long run.
• Whether you purchase them at a local health food store, your favorite online store or from my recommendations below, make sure you only buy one that is 100% pure.
• Essential oils are quite concentrated. Make sure that you dilute any of the ones you choose with a good carrier oil such as organic coconut oil or organic olive oil.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil is first on the list of the best essential oils for hair growth.
We know that rosemary oil increases circulation in the scalp as well as increasing metabolism at a cellular level, helping to stimulate hair growth.
While the medical community is still at odds with their own recommendations on this essential oil, the “proof is in the pudding” – while they are lacking scientific evidence at this point on why it works, the fact is that it does work. In fact, when put alongside popular hair growth medications, it works just as well, but without some of the unpleasant side effects that can occur.
What you need:
• NOW Organic 100% Pure Rosemary Essential Oil
This oil is 100% pure, and is a great pick – it has excellent, long-term high consumer sales and rave reviews, and is USDA certified organic.
Lavender Essential Oil
How does lavender oil benefit hair growth? It has been proven to have a “multi-prong” approach given a few of its properties:
• Increases the number of hair follicles
• Increases the depth of hair follicles
• Soothes, heals moisturizes scalp
• Soothing emotional effects (stress being a major contributor to hair loss)
What you need:
• NOW Organic Lavender Essential Oil
This oil is certified organic, 100% pure and is less expensive per ounce than other popular oils.
Cedarwood Essential Oil
Like some other essential oils, cedarwood is helpful for increasing scalp circulation, and has been shown to produce real results when it comes to hair growth and reducing hair loss.
Commonly cedarwood oil is combined with lavender and other essential oils for a hair treatment.
There are quite a number of additional benefits of cedarwood essential oil including curing toothaches, strengthening gums, soothing to skin irritations and more. It even acts beautifully as a bug repellent in the summertime!
What you need:
• Nature’s Answer 100% Pure Organic Cedarwood Essential Oil
This essential oil apparently has the most consistent popularity across multiple health websites, and has also received some pretty great reviews!
Chamomile Essential Oil
One of my favorite herbs is chamomile with its soothing qualities. It makes for a great before-bedtime beverage, but the essential oil is different – sort of.
Like other forms of chamomile, the essential oil is soothing, but now we are focused on skin and scalp. Not only is it soothing, it also adds a great deal of softness to hair – with a bonus of additional shine!
Other benefits of chamomile oil include:
• Calming effects, including promoting relaxation
• Can soothe some PMS symptoms
• Helps with insomnia
• Helps with digestion
There are other great effects as well – here is a great article with more information on chamomile essential oil.
What you need:
• Aviano Roman Chamomile 100% Pure Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil is quite well-known for a number of different types of uses, and it also makes an excellent remedy for hair growth.
Not only does it stimulate the scalp, it has also shown to increase the thickness of hair, the number and depth of hair follicles – and in general it acts to create a much healthier environment on the scalp for hair to grow.
When added to the scalp, you can almost immediately begin to feel its effects – you will notice a marked feeling of cooling and stimulation.
Other common uses for peppermint oil include:
• Soothing effect on the digestive system
• Soothing for stomach aches
• Relieves tight, sore muscles
• Helps freshen breath
And yes, there are many more great effects – it is a must-have in any household with its multiple purposes, and the price is much better than many other remedies for similar symptoms.
What you need:
• Mary Tylor Naturals Organic Peppermint Essential Oil
This is a nice-sized bottle for not a whole lot of money. Plus it is absolutely organic and the quality is outstanding.
Best Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Growth
Our grandparents (and great grandparents) knew about it – but like myself, many people thought that the health and beauty benefits of apple cider vinegar were just a folk tale!
I have learned time and time again that I should have listened to my grandmother – as it turns out, she was quite savvy regarding natural home remedies. She used apple cider vinegar, lived to be a nice old age – and she very, very rarely had to see a doctor.
As a note, I recently was talking to a woman in her late 80’s – she told me that her own grandmother made her own and drank it every day. She lived to be well over 100 years old!
What’s the best apple cider vinegar to buy? When searching for an apple cider vinegar, not just any will do. It needs to be organic, raw, unfiltered, and it needs with say “With The Mother” on the front label. (The “mother” is beneficial bacteria, which is important to its effectiveness.)
Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
• Great additive to recipes, like Southern collard greens or homemade coleslaw
• Reduces acid buildup in muscles, especially after strenuous exercises, such as long-distance running or heavy lifting
• Encourages weight control through metabolic stabilization, while promoting digestion with a natural, healthy Ph Balance in your digestive tract
• Promotes healthier skin, fuller hair, stronger nails, and refreshed cells from the inside out
• Super-rich in all-natural digestive enzymes and vitamins, like Potassium, which relieves inflammation, prevents cramps, and reduces swelling
Eh, it might sound a little unappetizing to drink a straight teaspoon of Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. But the benefits far outweigh your temporary aversion to the twang of the raw flavor.
Sure, you could use it as an additive in a tried-and-true family recipe, in a healthy beverage – or, you could suck it up, buttercup. Grab yourself a tablespoon and give it a swallow for a slew of benefits that put better health within your grasp.
The great thing about Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is the acidity has been cut to a stellar 5-percent—which means no upset stomach, zero heartburn, and the subtle flavor and aroma of fresh-harvested apples.
Where to buy:
• Buy @ Amazon.com, or…
• Buy @ Thrive Market (best price I have found)
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar and How to Use it for Hair Growth
Apple cider vinegar has many, many uses – I now drink it every single day, often more than once. It’s wonderful for my own purposes (digestion and blood sugar), but it also has a magical effect for the scalp and hair, and yes, it does help out with hair growth.
How does apple cider vinegar improve hair growth?
When used as a rinse, it stimulates the scalp, increases circulation to hair follicles, improves pH balance and possibly most importantly – it removes inevitable buildup of chemicals, oils, etc., that can block hair follicles (resulting in stunted hair growth). For men with male pattern baldness, it helps to remove DHT from the scalp, thereby encouraging growth of hair.
Directions to use it as a rinse:
Mix apple cider vinegar with water (1:1 ratio), add to wet hair, massage into scalp and leave on for about 10 or 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. (It is recommended to do this 2-3 times per week for maximum benefits to scalp and hair.)
When drinking it, it greatly assists overall health, which also will affect how much and how well hair grows.
It is recommended to drink 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day.
Apple cider vinegar has a strong, richly sour taste, so mixing it with water (at least) is a good idea. I use a 1:1 hot water to cold filtered or spring water ratio to make it warm.
It can also be mixed with honey for a great sore throat and cold remedy. There is no shortage of apple cider vinegar drinks either – just do a search in Google for “apple cider vinegar drink recipes” and you will get a lapful of yummy options.
Best Juicing and Juice Recipes for Hair Growth
I love fresh vegetable and fruit juicing, in fact I do it almost daily – thank goodness I have a juicer that has stood up to years and years of use!
At any rate, just as there are great vitamins and other supplements that can help to stop hair loss and encourage hair growth, there are plenty of fresh veggies and fruits that can also do the job – maybe even better since you are getting the vitamins right from the foods that they come from.
If you are going to be juicing not only for overall health, but are interested in getting the most from your juice to help along hair growth, there are a few key veggies and fruits to keep in mind.
Best Vegetables and Fruits to Juice for Hair Growth
There are a number of vegetables that can be juiced, and are wonderful for health. Among those, here is a list that you can use to concentrate on for encouraging better hair growth:
• Rich, green vegetables including spinach, kale, broccoli, swiss chard, collard greens and beet greens
• Fresh garlic (not easy to drink down but oh-so-healthy!)
Yes, there are a good number of great juicing fruits that can be added to your daily health routine. Those fruits include:
• Other berries (blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
Best Juicing Recipes for Hair Growth
It never hurts to gain knowledge and experience from the voice of experience. That said, when you are juicing – and are concentrating on fresh vegetables and fruits that will boost hair growth (or inhibit or stop hair loss) – it can help you along to have one or more great recipe books to hand.
There are a couple of juicing recipe books available in both paperback and Kindle edition that concentrate on just that – giving your body the nutrition it needs to growth healthy, beautiful hair.
Juicing For Hair Growth: Get Healthy, Get Growth by Nicarea Stone (Kindle Edition Only)
Juicing for Hair Growth: Get Healthy, Get Growth is a short, sweet, concise book with an awesome cover that makes you really want a juicy, crisp apple—or twelve. But I digress. This book is a go-to how-to on juicing for the benefits of stronger, healthier, longer, and fuller hair.
Personally, I love how the author, Nicarea Stone, uses positive thinking and motivational speech to encourage readers to try something amazing towards their best hair health.
This book gives you a bunch of insight into the benefits of different veggies and fruits. For instance, did you know that cucumbers pack a huge punch of silica and magnesium? Those are two essential vitamins are hydrated, volumized, healthy hair.
Read and reference often!
Where to buy:
• Buy @ Amazon Kindle Store
53 Hair Loss Juice Recipe Solutions by Joe Correa CSN
Did you know that your positive thoughts have power and impact on your health, both physical and mental? That’s just one of the things you can expect to be taught in 53 Hair Loss Juice Recipe Solutions: Juice Your Way to Healthier and Stronger Hair Using Natures Ingredients.
This book tells you all about hair growth, but also about the numerous vegetables and fruits that could positively benefit your good health. For example, spinach and other green, leafy vegetables are considered superfoods. These superfoods, when juiced or added to smoothies, offer a mega punch of vitamin-packed goodness.
There are several yummy recipes in this book too, like the rejuvenating Spinach Carrot Juice, or the revitalizing Orange Lemon Juice [perfect for breakfast].
Where to buy:
• Buy @ Amazon.com (Paperback and Kindle Edition)
What About Prenatal Vitamins for Hair Growth?
I have heard it too – the idea that taking prenatal vitamins will promote hair growth. Well, that actually turns out to be a myth.
It’s easy to understand how the idea came about though – when women are pregnant, their bodies produce hormones that boost hair growth naturally. This could be pretty easily confused with the idea that women who are pregnant – and who are taking prenatal vitamins – were growing thicker hair and growing it faster from the supplements they were taking.
Oh well. There are still plenty of options for vitamins and supplements that promote hair growth – as you can see from the number of choices above. 🙂
Final Words on Nutrition, Vitamins and Supplements for Hair Growth – Note from the Author
I am a true proponent of nutrition – both in the form of food and supplements – and am convinced that with the right knowledge it is possible to make one’s own adjustments to just about anything related to health. Or beauty for that matter.
If you are striving to get healthier, to prevent illness or to correct some sort of physical malady or illness, I urge you to check into the “natural route” before taking steps to involve yourself with potentially harmful drugs or treatments.
This idea does extend into the hair loss and hair growth arenas – use the information on this page to guide you toward exactly what you need to have a thick, healthy head of beautiful hair.
What do you think? Let’s hear what you have to say about vitamins, supplements and other natural remedies when it comes to hair growth – leave comments below.
Related Articles – You Might Also Like…
Best Collagen Supplements – Guide on What to Buy
Top picks in natural collagen supplements
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate Review
Get The Vitamin Gal’s review of Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate supplement