Top 10 Multivitamins for Toddlers Age 3
Another question might be, “Which vitamins do 3 year old toddlers actually need?” One might also ask about the best of a specific kind of vitamin such as gummy, liquid or chewable. This page is designed to answer those kind of questions, as well as some relay some other helpful related info.
What’s Here: On this page are what can be considered as the overall 10 best vitamins for 3 year olds, as well as the top picks in gummy, liquid and chewable multi’s. All of the vitamins on the lists are ranked by popularity and ratings (but leaving out those picks with yucky artificial colors and artificial ingredients).
*Note: Also included below on the page is helpful information on which specific vitamins are the most important to look for, for children in this age group (at or around age three).
What's On This Page:
- Top 10 Multivitamins for 3 Year Olds
- 1. Nordic Naturals Nordic Berries Multivitamin Gummies
- 2. Childlife Essentials Multi Vitamin and Mineral
- 3. Yummi Bears Organics Complete Multi Gummy Vitamins for Kids
- 4. Garden of Life Vitamin Code Chewable Whole Food Vitamins for Kids
- 5. Smarty Pants Kids Complete Gummy Multivitamins
- 6. L’il Critters Gummy Vites Complete Multivitamin
- 7. Zarbee’s Naturals Children’s Complete Gummy Multivitamin
- 8. Rainbow Light Nutristars Chewable Multivitamin
- 9. Nature’s Plus Animal Parade Chewable Multivitamins for Kids
- 10. Gummi King Multi-Vitamin and Mineral for Kids
- Best Gummy Multivitamin for 3 Year Olds
- Best Liquid Multivitamin for 3 Year Olds
- Best Chewable Multivitamin for 3 Year Olds
- Best Multivitamins with Iron for 3 Year Olds
- Best Vitamin D for 3 Year Olds
- Best Vitamin C for 3 Year Olds
- Which Vitamins and Minerals Do 3 Year Old Children Need?
- Final Note from the Author on Three Year Old Kids and Their Vitamins
- What are Your Thoughts on Vitamins for Kids Age Three?
Top 10 Multivitamins for 3 Year Olds
Given the fact that the best way to go when wondering, “Which vitamins should I give my 3 year old?” — A good multiple will cover most or all the bases that most little kiddos need.
Here is a list of the top 10 picks:
1. Nordic Naturals Nordic Berries Multivitamin Gummies
- Yummy sweet-sour taste of Norwegian cloudberries
- Not just a great pick for toddlers, older kids and even adults can benefit from them!
- Provides essential vitamins (A, B, C, D3 and E) and minerals (including Zinc).
- Extra assistance for growth support for toddlers and kids
- Goes beautifully with this company’s “companion” omega-3 product for kids
I have seen the Nordic Naturals Nordic Berries vitamins on multiple “best of” lists for kids, and while I am surprised that I have not seen them more prominently displayed in stores, the fact remains that – at least online – they are one of the most popular and top-quality nutritional products for children.
Also, I love the fact that they are not only great for kiddos, adults love them and can benefit from them health-wise as well!
Loaded with essential vitamins and minerals, these “yummy gummies” work perfectly with Nordic Naturals’ children’s omega-3 supplement products for even more health benefits!
2. Childlife Essentials Multi Vitamin and Mineral
- Award-winning vitamin supplement for kids
- No artificial ingredients
- Contains essential vitamins, minerals and trace elements
- Made with only top-quality ingredients
- Liquid vitamin can be taken plain (good-tasting), or mixed with a beverage or nutrition shake
I have raved about this particular liquid multivitamin on my list of the best vitamins for 2 year olds as well – and yes, I am raving about it again because it is truly (in my opinion), THE best liquid vitamins available on the market for kids today.
Completely composed of natural ingredients, and made in such a way that the body readily absorbs and uses the nutrients.
This product comes in a yummy orange-mango flavor, so it is easily given to kids just as-is, or it can be mixed with juice or another beverage.
Always a good choice in a kids’ multi!
3. Yummi Bears Organics Complete Multi Gummy Vitamins for Kids
- Dubbed “the original gummy vitamin” – they’ve been making gummy vitamins since 1997
- Supports healthy growth and development
- Complete multivitamin – includes Vitamins A, C, D, E, B and more
- Made of entirely natural flavors
- Kids love ’em!
This may be the most recognized multivitamin on this “best of” list for 3 year olds. Yummi Bears are commonly found not only in health food stores, but grocery and discount stores as well.
There are many things I love about this vitamin – the main thing (other than the level of balanced nutrients inside) is the fact that they are truly yummy, yet they are not made with artificial flavorings or preservatives.
And – of course – this version of the product is also organic. Bonus!
If you are searching for a “can’t miss, my kid will love this” multivitamin that truly covers the nutrition bases, this product would be a sure-fire hit.
4. Garden of Life Vitamin Code Chewable Whole Food Vitamins for Kids
- Created completely with whole foods (raw fruits and veggies)
- Contains vitamins, minerals – even probiotics and antioxidants for extraordinary health!
- Supports growth and development, as well as supporting digestion, immune function, mental and physical energy
- Nothing artificial added – flavors or other additives
Garden of Life has always been one of my favorite brands of vitamins for both children and adults. The reason? They craft their wonderful supplements using whole, nutritious food ingredients. This results in the body have more ability to “take them in,” making them that much more valuable and effective.
This very special multivitamin supplement for children is perfect for 3 year olds – it not only helps along growth and development, it also gives the immune system a boost (great for cold and flu season!), as well as helping with digestion (includes uber-effective probiotics).
Always a good choice when it comes to kids’ chewable vitamins.
5. Smarty Pants Kids Complete Gummy Multivitamins
- Contains daily essential vitamins for kids – A, C, D3, E, Bs (and more)
- Additionally contains health-promoting omega 3 oil
- Contains iodine for healthy metabolism
- 3 yummy natural flavors in one bottle – lemon, orange and strawberry/banana
This is another repeated favorite in terms of multivitamins for little kiddos – undoubtedly, it is one of the best ones and a vitamin pick that you can feel good about.
Not only does this product contain the basic, “cover the bases” daily vitamins, it also includes omega 3 fish oil – which many parents are quickly finding out is oh-so-good for their little guys and gals, helping to maintain a healthy level of energy.
And – this (as is true with other picks on this list), isn’t riddled with artificial “thesies and thosies” – Smarty Pants seems to know that kids’ vitamins can be made to be yummy without all the “yuckies.”
6. L’il Critters Gummy Vites Complete Multivitamin
- Naturally sourced flavors and colors
- Most popular children’s gummy vitamin brand
- Free of high fructose corn syrup
- Contains essential daily vitamins – A, Bs, C, D and E
- Available in multiple sizes (larger sizes appear to be more economical)
Undoubtedly the most popular children’s multiple vitamin overall, probably mainly due to it’s lower price tag (you have probably seen this on pretty much any grocery store or discount store shelf). But, this is still what I would consider a “decent” kids’ multi-vitamin.
It does contain what could be considered to be the “keep the bases covered” vitamins, and it includes iodine and zinc as well.
If you are searching for a bit of a “heartier” daily supplement for kids, one of the above picks (#’s 1-5) above might be a better choice.
7. Zarbee’s Naturals Children’s Complete Gummy Multivitamin
- Complete multivitamin – includes A, C, D3, E
- Additionally is excellent source of Vitamin B-Complex
- No artificial ingredients
- Yummy fruit flavors
- Made with vegetarian pectin
This is another favorite that I have included on other “best of” vitamins lists for kids. Zarbee is definitely a good choice in a “multi” for children, and possibly its best highlight is the fact that it is a complete source of B-Complex vitamins.
It also boasts the fact that it is a great support for kids’ immune systems, and contains a healthy dose of minerals as well.
And – something I always tout as being a wonderful thing – it’s made with natural ingredients, and not packed with high fructose corn syrup or other artificial “yucky stuff.”
8. Rainbow Light Nutristars Chewable Multivitamin
- Nutrients included help to support a healthy immune system, nervous system and heart health
- Great for kids with sensitive tummies
- Includes plant-sourced enzymes
- “The original food-based chewable children’s multivitamin
I have never failed to be impressed with Rainbow Light products, and this children’s multivitamin is no exception.
This complete multivitamin contains Vitamins A, Bs, C, D and E, as well as ingredients from wholesome foods (sprouts, spirulina, carrots, broccoli, parsley, beets and spinach). Wow! Talk about a great way to help kids fill their daily nutrition gaps! While supplements will never be quite as good as the real thing (healthy food), it definitely is a great way to fill those gaps here and there when nutrition is lacking now and then.
These chewable vitamins are also known to be yummy, with a natural fruity “punch” flavor.
9. Nature’s Plus Animal Parade Chewable Multivitamins for Kids
- Contains daily essential vitamins – A, Bs, C, D3 and E
- Additionally contains a number of other nutrients including Vitmain K2, probiotics and minerals
- Fun animals shapes naturally sweetened with xylitol
- Yummy flavors – cherry, orange and grape
- Made with whole foods
While there are a number of really great things about this natural children’s multivitamin, what stands out to me as something that I love is that it is sweetened with xylitol – so not only is it naturally sweetened (without sugar), it’s great for preventing tooth decay!
Packed with plenty of wonderful nutrients made from whole foods, this supplement not only provides the daily essentials that kids need, it also gives little bodies a nice boost with probiotics and other helpful energy-boosting ingredients.
As a note, this particular vitamin would not be a good choice if your child has difficulty with chewables – one of the above gummies or liquid vitamins might work better.
10. Gummi King Multi-Vitamin and Mineral for Kids
- Certified vegan
- Made without gelatin
- Made with high-quality ingredients
- Come in six natural fruit flavors
While this gummy vitamins is natural and contains what could be considered daily essentials, it is less power-packed with nutrients than some of the other choices above. Nevertheless, it is created with good ingredients, and does cover the bases to fill kiddos’ nutritional gaps (includes Vitamins A, B12, C, D and E, as well as some basic minerals).
One interesting thing about this product – it is not only formulated for kids, it is also (according to the label), a good supplements for adults.
And – it’s hard to beat the yummy flavors! This one boasts lemon, grapefruit (yum!), cherry, strawberry, orange and grape!
Best Gummy Multivitamin for 3 Year Olds
When one thinks about “gummies,” they may consider that the main ingredients are processed sugar and other artificial stuff that kids don’t need. This is not the case when it comes to many of the vitamins available out there – in fact, some of the healtiest “multi’s” come in gummy form, but without the “gunk.” 🙂
Here is my #1 pick from the best of ’em:
Nordic Naturals Nordic Berries Multivitamin Gummies
- Great for adults and kids too – great for anyone age 2 and up
- Free from dairy, gluten and gelatin
- No artificial ingredients – natural color and flavoring
Did you know… Nordic Naturals Nordic Berries multivitamins are actually an award winner from numerous sources? One of them is near and dear to my own heart – Whole Foods Magazine.
Not only do they contain the daily basic essential vitamins for kids, but they are packed with full-spectrum B vitamins, which helps growth and development along a great deal.
And just as good as what’s in them is what’s not: yucky artificial ingredients!
Known for their great taste, they are also touted to be a great vitamin supplement for adults.
Best Liquid Multivitamin for 3 Year Olds
Another great way to give toddlers vitamins is in a liquid – if you choose the right one, not only will you get a great pick in terms of “healthy,” but it’s pretty easy to find one that is yummy too.
Here is my personal recommendation on a liquid multivitamin for three year olds:
Childlife Essentials Multi Vitamin and Mineral
- Only includes top-quality ingredients
- Formulated by a doctor
- Free of stuff you might not want your kids to have – dairy, gluten, peanuts, fish
- Award winner!
I have raved about Childlife Essentials liquid vitamins for kids, and I am now doing it again! 🙂
This liquid vitamin is power-packed with pretty much anything that could help to fill gaps in kids’ daily nutrition, and it’s not loaded up with artificial ingredients that make it cheaper to produce (and a cheaper product).
And, it not only “fills the gaps,” it also contains ingredients that help to boost energy, immunity and increase mental clarity. Yay!
Easy for kids to take plain due to its delicious flavor, and is a good choice if you’re looking for something to mix with a drink.
Best Chewable Multivitamin for 3 Year Olds
Another great way to get 3 year olds their daily essential vitamins is with a yummy (and healthy) chewable. Many kids prefer them over gummies or liquid form, but as a note, it might be a bit tougher for some toddler-aged children to take a chewable. If that is the case, I would opt for a gummy multivitamins, or perhaps a children’s liquid vitamin above on the page.
Here is my pick for the one that is made with natural ingredients, and that kids love:
Garden of Life Vitamin Code Chewable Whole Food Vitamins for Kids
- Created with a base of raw, whole foods
- Gives support for healthier bones
- Supports increased physical energy levels
- Immune system support
- Includes live probiotics
An absolutely excellent supplement for kids – and it does FAR more than cover all the bases. If you’re already giving your little one a multiple vitamin, and also giving him or her other types of supplements (such as probiotics, minerals, etc.), that may not be necessary if you use this product instead.
It’s truly hard to beat the quality of vitamins and supplements created with raw, whole foods – bodies “drink them in” better, as well as use them more efficiently. If I (still) had a toddler-aged child, I would at least be giving this multivitamin a good, hard look – and probably would be buying it on a regular basis.
Best Multivitamins with Iron for 3 Year Olds
Iron is an essential component to any child’s nutrition – and when a little one is in need of a bit extra (more than given in some multiples), there are some great ones to pick from.
Here is what I have found is the best choice in multiple vitamins with added iron that are safe for kids at or around 3 years old:
Nature’s Plus Animal Parade Children’s Chewable Multi-Vitamin (Including Iron)
- Includes daily essential vitamins for kids, as well as additional supplements (including iron)
- Created with whole foods (always a great choice!)
- Naturally flavored
- Fun animals shapes, yummy multiple flavors
This vitamin for kiddos is not only packed with great vitamins, it is made with whole food ingredients – giving the nutritional value just that much more punch!
I have yet to see a product from Nature’s Plus that disappoints, and this vitamin and iron supplement is no exception. It is on the list of the top 10 vitamins for 3 year olds (including multiple forms and brands of vitamins), and stands on its own as nutrition that is not only healthy for your children, they will love it too.
Hard to beat that!
Best Vitamin D for 3 Year Olds
As you may already be aware, Vitamin D is often called the “sunshine vitamin.” This is because the body will generate its own Vitamin D with adequate exposure to sunlight. However, many parents are cautious these days and prefer to use sunscreen, which acts to block the amount of Vitamin D produced. Also, if a child’s skin is mostly covered (such as on cold days), there will probably be – to some degree – a lack of Vitamin D production naturally.
So yes, if for one reason or another you choose to give your little one a separate dose of Vitamin D, there are some good supplements to choose from.
Here is the one that I found to have the best ingredients, as well as some pretty darned good ratings from other parents:
Child Life Vitamin D3
- Great for both infants and children
- Made with all natural ingredients
- Delicous berry flavor
- Liquid vitamin, easy to take for kids
I just love the Child Life brand, and when it comes to Vitamin D’s, I am a picky camper – and this vitamin fits the bill quite nicely.
You don’t have to give a separate chewable or gummy vitamin to get the dosage of Vitamin D needed, simply give it to them directly from the dropper or add their daily dose to a favorite beverage.
Given the fact that the ingredients are all natural, it is also healthier than some other choices of vitamins out there, and kids love the yummy berry taste!
Why is Vitamin D Important for Children?
As mentioned above, Vitamin D is naturally produced by the body with adequate exposure to sunlight. But – why is it important exactly?
Vitamin D is what could be called “calcium’s helper.” It assists the body in absorbing enough calcium, which in turn results in stronger teeth and bones.
I have also come across information that suggests a lack of Vitamin D can often get confused with increased negative mood (aka “depression”) – this can be a ridiculously over-diagnosed “disorder” that if looked over carefully, may simply equate to a Vitamin D deficiency!!!
Here is a video that gives some good general information on the subject of Vitamin D, as well as providing info on which foods contain it:
Best Vitamin C for 3 Year Olds
Another crucial component of good health for children is adequate Vitamin C. It helps to the body to build tissues, as well as promoting red blood cell health. It also helps with proper bone formation – and as most of us moms (and dads) know, it can help prevent “the nasties” by giving the immune system a nice boost.
With that in mind, the question might be, “Which Vitamin C should I give my 3 year old?”
Here is one that I came across with excellent consumer ratings from parents, with natural ingredients:
Child Life Liquid Vitamin C
- Yummy orange flavor
- No artificial flavors, colors or other ingredients
- Great for infants and kids
- Provides immune support, and antioxidants to battle environmental conditions
Again, I rave about Child Life products – not only do they make a fantastic liquid multi-vitamin for little ones, as well as a liquid Vitamin D (above), they also have what I consider to be the best Vitamin C for children at or around age 3.
The taste is delicious, and you don’t need to worry about anything yucky or artificial added to it. It’s pure Vitamin C nutrition for kids, that they will have no problem taking!
And – tip: Probably the easiest way to give this to children is with some sort of a beverage.
Which Vitamins and Minerals Do 3 Year Old Children Need?
Do 3 year old boys and girls really need vitamins? That is a question with more than a few different answers, but in general it is a good idea for little ones to take a good daily supplement in order to fill any possible nutritional needs.
Here is the lowdown on which vitamins and minerals are considered the most important for a little ones’ daily nutritional needs (generally all of these things can be found in a good multivitamin for 3 year olds) – check out the chart below:
|Vitamin/Mineral||Daily Dosage for 3 Year Olds||Foods that Contain It||Recommended Supplement|
|Calcium||700 mg||Dark leafy vegetables, dairy products, fortified foods, salmon||Child Life Liquid Calcium with Magnesium|
|Vitamin B's (especially B12)||.9 mcg||Eggs, poultry, meat||Superior Source Children's Vitamin B Complex (With C)|
|Vitamin C||400 mg||Brightly colored fruits and veggies||ChildLife Essentials Liquid Vitamin C|
|Vitamin D||400 IU||Salmon, eggs, fortified milk||ChildLife Vitamin D3 (Natural Berry)|
|Vitamin E||9 IU||Nuts, seeds, vegetable oils||(Recommend to use a good multiple vitamin with E - see list above|
|Iron||7-10 mg||Red meat, dark leafy vegetables||Vitamin Friends Organic Iron Gummies|
Final Note from the Author on Three Year Old Kids and Their Vitamins
It is important to ensure that kids’ nutritional needs are met, and as most of us parents know, it’s not always easy to get little ones to eat “all the best foods, all the time.”
In addition to the concept of “perfection is not possible” in regards to kids’ daily nutrition, there is also the concept of some children with special dietary needs – some children and sometimes entire families follow a strict vegan diet, for example. Another example is a child on a special diet from a doctor to help with a particular condition. In any case, special diets also sometimes introduce a lack of nutrition in specific areas.
Whatever your child’s needs, a fairly simple solution is not only eating healthy foods in general, but supplementing with the right vitamins can help to ensure that your little ones “gaps” in nutrition are taken care of — and a good multiple vitamin for 3 year-old toddlers can be a great way to go!
What are Your Thoughts on Vitamins for Kids Age Three?
Let me know!
Below is the comments area for this page – if you have any additions that you want to suggest or input on this page, feel free! This is where to do it. 🙂
Author: Tonya B.
Tonya is the founder and creator of The Vitamin Gal.
With her long history of learning and experience on health, vitamins, supplements and nutrition in general, she enjoys sharing her knowledge and tips with her friends, family and with you, our visitors.